Recreation is an activity of leisure, leisure being discretionary time. The "need to do something for recreation" is an essential element of human biology and psychology. This article is by Dr. Larry Jackson takes a deeper look into the art of recreation.
A BROAD CONCEPT OF RECREATION
Recreation is more than the playing of games.
It includes reading, music, art, drama, the chance to converse with friends, the thrill of a hobby, hearing the song of a cardinal, the enjoyment of a lovely sunset, a quiet moment of worship, working in a garden, a trip through the woods, the fellowship of a friendly game, the fun of a sports program, and a thousand other joys! (E. O. Harbin)
RECREATION is like a clean wind which blows through a person's total being and sweeps the cobwebs from the mind; and in that process totally refreshes to the extent that the individual is enabled to return to his regular routine ready, willing, happy, and able. (Agnes Durant Pylant)
Definitions of Recreation
- Any activity must give refreshment to body, mind, or spirit to deserve the name "recreation."
- Recreation means doing things which are renewing, refreshing, or rejuvenating.
- Recreation is something interesting to do in leisure which is done simply for the enjoyment of it.
- The word "recreation" might best be spelled "re-Creation."
- Recreation is play or amusement.
- The term "recreation" means some worthwhile, socially accepted, leisure experience which provides immediate satisfactions to the individual who voluntarily participates in an activity.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM Dr. Larry Jackson;